Sunday, September 26, 2010

Dear GRE, you are going to be the death of me

So now that I am a college grad, I am considered an adult that is ready to enter the "real world". But, I am definitely trying to postpone that process by going back to school :) 
So I've decided to apply to graduate school!

It's probably the best choice considering the status of the economy and my young age. Not to mention, I've always enjoyed school and did well with it. But now I may have found my kryptonite...three simple letters. 
G-R-E 
These letters stand for the Graduate Record Examination, A.K.A. the hardest and most ridiculous test ever!!!! Ask any graduate student and they will feel free to share the moans and groans they feel towards this horrible test, but it's just something someone has to do to get into graduate school.

          The test has three sections: analytical writing (2 essays), verbal, and math.
 The essays aren't too bad and the math section is just a review of the math from high school that you never fully learned, but it is learnable.
 The section that I despise is the verbal section. The "learn all the words in the entire world" section. It includes antonym, analogy, and other verbal problems. 

Here's a sample analogy question: 
        They give me this analogy >>> DIN:CACOPHONOUS 
and the most similar answer is >>> DRONE:MONOTONOUS 

  If I had a dictionary I would be golden, but unfortunately, you aren't allowed to have one during the test haha. Hence, I have to memorize practically all of the words ever invented, especially since I can't predict which words will be on the test. 
  In other words, I will be spending my time drowning in flash cards marked with vocabulary words that I will never use again. And all this to go BACK to school and pay MORE money, oh joy what was i thinking...maybe I should just take my chances in the "real world". 

1 comment: